Savory Sausage, Peppers and Spinach Soup
Finding a keto approved hearty soup that satisfies can be difficult. This soup is especially good on a cold winter’s day.
Enjoy the savory sausage, spinach and poblano peppers for fantastic flavor and heartiness. You can have this soup either as a light meal or even as a hearty appetizer. It stores well and has even more flavor the next day!
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. pork sausage
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- ½ medium Poblano pepper, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. dried rosemary
- 1½ t. chili powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ½ t. ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 c. organic sugar-free chicken stock
- 2 c. baby spinach
- 1 c. Cheddar Jack cheese, shredded
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is no longer pink inside, approximately 5 minutes. As the sausage cooks, break it into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add the red and Poblano pepper, celery, basil, oregano, rosemary, chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon to the pot. Generously season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies have softened, around 5-6 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or just until the spinach wilts.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately, topped with shredded Cheddar Jack cheese and some additional diced Poblano pepper, if desired. Enjoy!
Net Carbs: 2.6g
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 31g||47.7%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||55%|
|Total Carbohydrate 3.9g||1.3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||5.2%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
You Can Be Healthy Too
Your whole family will enjoy this soup even if they are on the keto diet or not. It only takes a little over a half hour to prepare and you can add in any other type of keto friendly veggie that you think will enhance it. The wonderful thing about keto is exploring all the delicious herbs, spices and new flavors.
About the Author
I live a healthy lifestyle and love inspiring others to take charge of their health. I enjoy sharing what I have learned in my own struggle to lose weight and get healthy. I am enjoying a keto lifestyle and have lost over 40 pounds so far. I have more energy than ever and feel 20 years younger!